PHILIPPINE ECOSAN NETWORK
Philippine Ecosan Network or PEN is a network of different organizations working together for sustainable sanitation in the Philippines.
THE ISSUE 2 CONSORTIUM
The ISSUE Regional Consortium is composed of the Center for Advanced Philippine Studies (CAPS), the City of San Fernando, La Union, The Foundation for a Sustainable Society, Inc. (FSSI), the Institute for the Development of Educational and Ecological Alternatives (IDEAS) and the Solid Waste Management Association of the Philippines (SWAPP). The Consortium works hand in hand to implement the three main components under the ISSUE Programme.
Foundation for a Sustainable Society, Inc. (FSSI
- Province of La Union
- City of San Fernando, La Union (CSFLU)
- The year 1998 ushered forth the fulfillment of the dream for the City of San Fernando, known as the gateway to the Ilocandia, the seat of National Government Offices in Region I and the center of trade, commerce, financial and educational institutions, among others. From a deep rooted potential stable community governance to the best gift of Mother Nature - a seaport responsive to international shipping, an airport with viable capacity to accommodate international air traffic, natural terrain conducive to unlimited tourism development, and a people endowed with cultural and virtuous heritage of industry, spirituality, nationalism and aspiration for growth, peace and prosperity, the City of San Fernando has emerged as the booming Metropolis of the North. The consistent popular clamor and aspiration of its barangay officials and residents served as the impetus which ushered forth the enactment of Resolution No. 20 dated May 14, 1996 by the Sangguniang Bayan of San Fernando, La Union requesting the House of Representatives, Congress of the Philippines for the conversion of the Municipality of San Fernando, La Union into a Component City. (www.sanfernandocity.gov.ph)
- The Foundation for a Sustainable Society, Inc. (FSSI) is a non-stock, non-profit organization committed to support and promote eco-enterprises that are community-oriented, ecologically sound and economically viable.
- FSSI seeks to empower marginalized communities in the Philippines through eco-enterprise development. As a resource institution, FSSI provides financial support as well as technical and business development (i.e. marketing linkages, product and technology enhancement) services to its partners.
- FSSI received an initial endowment fund through the Bilateral Agreement on the Reduction of the External Debt between the Philippine and Swiss governments in August 1995. The agreement allowed for the cancellation of the Philippine debt and the eventual creation of a fund equivalent to half of the debt's face value. (www.fssi.com.ph)
Institute for the Development of Educational and Ecological Alternatives (IDEAS)
Solid Waste Management Association of the Philippines (SWAPP)
- The Solid Waste Management Association of the Philippines (SWAPP) is a non-profit organization composed of mainly Local Government Units, academe, private sectors, students and other SWM practitioners. It was formally organized during the First National Solid Waste Conference in November 199. At present, SWAPP has over 250 members who are active SWM practitioners. (www.swapp.org.ph)
LOCAL GOVERNMENT UNITS
CAPS is also working with different local government units like Anda, Pangasinan; Bais, Dumaguete City in Negros Oriental, Bohol Province; Caba, San Fernando, Bawang, Santol, and the Provincial Government of La Union; Palawan; Batangas, among others. He center promotes ecological sanitation and conducts trainings for the local government units for the demonstration and implementation of ecological sanitation in rural and urban communities in the Philippines.
The Center is dealing with different government agencies like the Department of Health, Department of Environment and Natural Resources and the Department of Interior and Local Government, to incorporate ecological sanitation in their environment, health and sanitation programs
PHILIPPINE ACADEMIC CONSORTIUM FOR ECOLOGICAL SANITATION
- PHILIPPINE WOMEN'S UNIVERSITY
- ADAMSON UNIVERSITY